Please note we will be closed on Bank Holiday Monday. Please click here for information on how to access our services.

You can no longer use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) for travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. You can still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland. Instead, pets travelling from Great Britain to an EU country or Northern Ireland will need an Animal Health Certificate (up to five pets on one certificate).

Your pet must:

  • Have a functioning microchip
  • Have a rabies vaccination at least 21 days before travel
  • Enter the EU via a designated Travellers’ Point of Entry
  • Have an Animal Health Certificate written in the official language of the country they will enter the EU unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland.

Dogs travelling directly to Norway, Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland or Malta must be treated for tapeworm no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you arrive.

The Animal Health certificate is:

  • Valid for ten days from the date of issue
  • Valid for a single trip into the EU
  • Valid for onward travel within the EU for four months or until the date of expiry of validity of the rabies vaccination whichever is sooner
  • Valid for re-entry to Great Britain for four months after the date of issue provided rabies vaccination is kept up to date.

We suggest that you discuss your travel plans with your vet at least one month before your intended travel plans to ensure your pet is prepared for travel.

Please contact us to advise on the steps required to ensure your pet is prepared for travel and ensure you have the required appointments booked for your pet.

The best place to check for the most up to date information is on the government website, here.

Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to do to qualify my pet for the Pet Travel Scheme?

To qualify for the Pet Travel Scheme your pet will need to:

At Maven Vets several of our vets are LVIs and so we are able to issue your pet’s passport.

Prior to coming back to the UK, you will also to arrange an appointment for your pet to be treated by a vet for worms and tick control and this must be stamped in your passport.

Where can I travel with my pet on the Pet Travel Scheme?

The majority of qualifying countries are in Europe.

A full list of qualifying countries can be found on the official Pet Travel Scheme website from DEFRA.

When can I travel with my pet?

You can take your pet out of the UK 21 days after they have had pet vaccinations against rabies and had their passport issued.

Does my pet need a blood sample?

Since January 2013 pets no longer require a blood sample to prove their rabies vaccine has been effective.

How do I keep my passport up to date?

Your pet will require to have a booster rabies vaccination.

The length of time between booster vaccinations will depend in where you are travelling but is normally required every 3 years.

Your LVI Vet will write in your pet’s passport the date by which they must have their rabies vaccination booster.

Please be aware that if you miss the date of rabies booster vaccination your pet will need to restart the passport process.

What is the Possible Impact of Brexit on Pet Travel

Pet owners will still be able to travel to the European Union from the United Kingdom after the UK leaves the EU on 29th March 2019, but the ease of transit and whether the pet passport scheme as it currently stands will remain valid will depend on whether the UK government manages to arrange a deal with the EU. There are a number of options depending on the level of deal reached:

1) A full deal is struck with the EU, no change is necessary

2) No deal is reached but a special arrangement is made for the UK to become a listed country, allowing relatively barrier free passage.

3) No deal is arranged, and the UK does not become a listed country, then stringent rules would be enforced to the following:

i) Your pet must be microchipped then vaccinated against rabies. A blood sample must then be taken 30 days after the vaccination and sent to an approved laboratory.

ii) The results of the blood test must show an adequate response to the vaccine

iii) You are only able to travel three months from the date of a successful blood sample.

iv) Within 10 days of travel you would need to visit one of our Official Veterinarians to get a health certificate. This would need to be done before every journey to the EU.

In the worst case outlined above, the whole process takes 4 months, which brings us to the end of November. We are very hopeful of a deal being reached, which would provide minimal disruption. However, we would recommend you prepare for the worst case-scenario and avoid disruption to your trip if you are thinking of travelling to the EU around the time of Brexit. We recommend making an appointment with one of our Official veterinarians to discuss your individual needs and to get a rabies blood sample taken as soon as possible, before the end of November.

We shall update this page and our social media pages as soon as any new information is released on this matter. If you have any concerns or would like to make an appointment, then please call reception on 02083372214.

For further advice please visit:

1) Government advice regarding pet travel around Brexit: 

2) Eurotunnel advice


  • accreditations rcvs outstanding client service
  • accreditations rcvs outstanding in patient service
  • accreditations rcvs outstanding consultation service
  • accreditations rcvs outstanding team professional responsibility
  • accreditations best business 2017
  • accreditations rcvs accredited practice sah
  • Accreditations IIE Bronze Award
  • ISFM Gold Cat Friendly Clinic 2023
  • maven rabbit silver level